I grew up eating tater tots and I looooved them. Today, I know a little bit more about healthy eating however my appetite for tasty food hasn’t changed! I love re-creating childhood favorites into healthier versions and recently I was inspired to take on tater tots. I hope you enjoy today’s recipe of Zucchini Sweet Potato Tots!
Zucchini Sweet Potato Tots
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons Thrive Culinary Algae Oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grate zucchini and sweet potato. You will want about 4 cups of grated vegetable total
- Place grated zucchini and sweet potato in a kitchen towel, in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. The salt will draw out excess water which will help the totes get nice and crispy when they bake. Let sit for about 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, mix flax seeds with warm water and Thrive Culinary Algae Oil, stir and let sit for 3 minutes
- Mince garlic
- Gather the four corners of your kitchen towel and firmly twist until you squeeze water out of grated vegetables. Ring out as much water as you can
- Place the grated vegetables into a large mixing bowl and add the minced garlic
- Using a fork, fluff all the ingredients together
- Next sprinkle whole-wheat pastry flour over the vegetables slowly while stirring the mixture, try to coat everything evenly
- Finally add the flax/water/oil into the mix and stir together one last time to evenly combine
- Scoop mixture into a mini cupcake tin and bake in the oven for 25 minutes
- Let cool for 10 minutes before enjoying
I’ve partnered with Thrive Algae Oil for today’s post and I love their cooking oil! Here are three reasons why I think algae oil is great and definitely is going to catch on for everyday cooking:
1. High Smoke Point
Algae oil has a high smoke point (485 degrees) making it a great oil for cooking and baking. Heat and light can damage most oils, however oils with a higher smoke points are better at maintaining their nutritional value, even when heated!
2. High Percentage of Monounsaturated Fats
Monounsaturated fats are the good fats, think avocados, almonds, flaxseeds!
3. Easy To Use And Tastes Great
When you think of algae you may be concerned about a fishy or sea vegetable taste. However algae oil has a really light, delicate flavor and does not overpower food!
Disclosure: Thanks to Thrive Algae Oil for sponsoring this post! All opinions, recipes & ideas stated are my own. I only share with you products that I truly love, use and want you to know about! That’s what Healthy Grocery Girl is all about, sharing healthy grocery finds & recipes that help you easily enjoy a healthy life. Sponsors help support Healthy Grocery Girl so that we can continue to create & provide free content such as blog posts and Youtube videos.