Summer is here, which means more fun in the sun and incredible burger recipes to eat outside! This Orange Buffalo Chickpea Burger recipe is packed with plant-based protein, fiber and healthy fats! It is topped with a spicy and tangy buffalo sauce and crunchy cabbage. Yum!
One of the things I love about this recipe is that it is made with only real, whole foods and some incredible spices! While there are some good veggie burgers on the market, there are also many that are filled with processed ingredients and lots of unnecessary oil. This recipe is satisfying for the whole family and will definitely become your new summer staple!
Health Benefits of Burger Ingredients
Beans are an incredible plant-based protein, packed with fiber and also contains B vitamins! B vitamins are important because they help increase neurotransmitter levels, including serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. All of these helps regulate mood.
Quinoa is a great gluten-free grain alternative. Did you know that quinoa is actually a pseudo-grain? A pseudo-grain is a seed that has the same incredible benefits as grains. Quinoa contains all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete protein!
Leafy greens are packed with nutrients and arugula is no exception! The vitamin K found in arugula is needed for blood clotting and healing wounds. Arugula is also a great source of folate, which is important for healthy red blood cells!
The beautiful purple color in cabbage is due to the antioxidant called anthocyanin. This amazing flavonoid may be linked to lowering blood pressure and lowering the risk of heart disease.
See below to view or print this recipe! If you make these Orange Buffalo Chickpea Burgers, please share a photo on Instagram and tag me @HealthyGroceryGirl so I can easily find and like your creations! It’s so fun to connect with you and see what recipes you’re enjoying.
For more HGG recipe ideas you can also visit the HGG YouTube channel here!
Orange Buffalo Chickpea BurgerPrint Recipe
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- ½ cup oat flour 3/4 cup rolled oats, ground
- ¼ cup cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup warm water
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons Limoneira navel orange juice
- ¼ cup sriracha
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Baby arugula
- Shaved purple cabbage
- Burger buns
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, add ground flax seeds and warm water. Let sit for 3 minutes. Add in chickpeas and mash with potato masher. Add in oat flour, quinoa and spices. Mix to combine.
- Form into 4 burger patties and add into parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add vegan butter, sriracha, orange juice, olive oil and spices. Stir to combine. Add a splash of cold water to help sauce come together.
- Arrange burgers with sauce on the bottom bun, arugula, burger, purple cabbage and top bun.
If you love this recipe, see below for more easy burger recipes! As always all Healthy Grocery Girl recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free and predominantly plant-based.
This video was created for the Limoneira YouTube Channel! Megan Roosevelt, RDN is the Spokesperson for Limoneira. To see all our tips & videos makes sure to visit & subscribe to the Limoneira YouTube Channel!