I made this Teriyaki Bowl for dinner recently and it was such a hit! On a cold rainy day I really enjoyed having a warm, flavorful dinner!
How A Plant-Based Diet Supports Gut Health
One of my goals with feeding my family is to add a variety of vegetables to our lunches and dinners. According to the American Gut Project, we know that eating 30+ different plant-based foods in a week is associated with better bacterial diversity in the gut. This is important because our gut health not only impact digestive health, it also impacts our immune health, hormone health, mood, cognitive function, energy levels and more! I am always looking for ways to add more vegetables into our meals and this dish is a great way to rack up your plant-points! In fact this dinner has 13 + different plant-based ingredients!
How To Make Teriyaki Sauce
Homemade sauces used to intimidate me! However, the more you play around with ingredients and try out new sauce or dressing recipes the more your kitchen confidence builds! I love making homemade sauces not only to help control the exact ingredients and leave out ingredients I don’t want, but also because I often find they taste so much better than most store-bought options!
This teriyaki sauce is made with a few simple ingredients such as:
To make the teriyaki sauce, add all sauce ingredients to a small pot and whisk together. Warm sauce over low / medium heat until you see the first bubbles, then turn the heat off, stir and let sit. Be careful not to over cook the sauce, but if you do simply whisk in a tablespoon or two of water.
Plant-Based Teriyaki BowlPrint Recipe
- 1 cup brown rice (dry)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil (coconut or avocado oil)
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup green cabbage
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 tbsp real maple syrup
- 1 tbsp brown rice flour
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions.
- Dice mushrooms, slice orange bell pepper and cut tomatoes in half.
- Heat cooking oil over medium heat, add mushrooms, bell pepper and tomatoes. Saute for 8-10 minutes. Then add black beans and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- To make the teriyaki sauce, add all sauce ingredients to a small pot and whisk together. Warm sauce over low / medium heat until you see the first bubbles, then turn the heat off, stir and let sit. Be careful not to over cook the sauce, but if you do simply whisk in a tablespoon or two of water.
- Thinly slice spinach and cabbage.
- Build bowls with rice, spinach and cabbage, cooked veggies, top with sauce and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Making This Meal For Kids
What’s great about this meal is that you can easily customize it to meet various dietary preferences of your family. For meat eaters, add chicken or salmon! For kids you can deconstruct and offer beans & rice with teriyaki sauce and veggies on the side!
This dish is also great with brown rice noodles, quinoa, black rice or any other grain or gluten-free grain you prefer!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see! Tag me on Instagram @healthygrocerygirl