Happy December! We are so excited to share with you how to make these delicious Orange Gingerbread Cookies! These cookies are super easy to make and are gluten-free and dairy-free. Unlike some boxed cookies, these are made with simple, ingredients that are perfect for everyone. One of our favorite additions in this recipe is the use of Limoneira orange! It gives these cookies a new depth of flavor that are perfect for the season!
We love decorating cookies during the holidays, especially with the kids! While we love eating these treats ourselves, they are also perfect to gift to neighbors, family and friends! We can’t wait for you to try this recipe.
Benefits of Gingerbread Spices
Ginger may contain anti-inflammatory properties, which can be beneficial for reducing pain for people with arthritis or other inflammatory issues. Ginger is also loaded with antioxidants, which may help repair damaged cells and fight free radicals. This aids in lowering disease risk for things like high blood pressure and heart disease.
Nutmeg has amazing warm and sweet flavors perfect in holiday recipes! It has anti-bacterial properties that may help with dental problems such as cavities and gum inflammation. It also has been shown in some animal studies to boost mood through its antidepressant effects.
Cloves are a rich source of manganese! This is important for forming connective tissue in the body, blood clotting and plays a role in blood sugar regulation. Cloves may also help with stopping the growth of bacteria, which may be beneficial for oral health.
See below to view or print this recipe! If you make these cookies, please share a photo on Instagram and tag me @HealthyGroceryGirl so I can easily find and like your creations! It’s so fun to connect with you and see what recipes you’re enjoying.
For more HGG recipe ideas you can also visit the HGG YouTube channel here!
Orange Gingerbread CookiesPrint Recipe
- 3 cups gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon Limoneira orange zest
- ½ cup coconut brown sugar
- ¾ cup vegan butter
- 1 egg or vegan egg replacer
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon Limoneira orange juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, spices, baking soda and orange zest.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add in egg, molasses and orange juice. Mix until smooth.
- Next, add in half of the flour mixture and stir to combine. Add in the rest of the flour mixture and stir until fully combined.
- Shape the dough and split into two.
- On parchment paper, pat the dough balls into one-inch thick disc. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once dough has chilled, roll out using rolling pin until about ¼ inch thick.
- Cut dough into desired shapes and carefully transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk the icing ingredients together in a large bowl until combined.
- Decorate, add a little orange zest and enjoy!
If you love this recipe, see below for more cookie recipes! As always all Healthy Grocery Girl recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free and predominantly plant-based.
This video was created for the Limoneira YouTube Channel! Megan Roosevelt, RDN is the Spokesperson for Limoneira. To see all our tips & videos makes sure to visit & subscribe to the Limoneira YouTube Channel!