Chilly weather welcomes soup, fireplaces, sweaters and… the Cold + Flu season. Luckily, there are a variety of ways to naturally boost our immune system! Try incorporating more of the following foods into your diet this season.
One of the best ways to naturally boost our immune system is with vitamin, mineral and anti-oxidant rich foods such as fruits, vegetables and whole-grains. While it may seem easier to reach for supplements to boost our vitamin intake, try consuming more real, whole, plant-based foods to boost your vitamin and mineral intakes. For example, to boost your Vitamin C intake consume more oranges, sweet bell peppers, sweet potatoes and broccoli.
Turmeric, Carrot & Parsnip Soup with Cinnamon Croutons
- 4 cups peeled and chopped carrots
- 2 cups peeled and chopped parsnips
- 1 small yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 3 slices whole-wheat multi-seed bread a few days old is best
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Set the oven on its lowest possible setting
- Chop the bread and coat with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and the cinnamon
- Spread bread evenly on a cookie sheet and place in the low oven for around 45 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Watch croutons to prevent from burning, remove from oven when nice and dry / crispy
- Peel and chop the carrots and parsnips, peel and dice the yellow onion and garlic
- Place your Le Crueset Soup Pot on the stove over medium heat
- Add to your pot 1 tablespoon of coconut, when the oil is hot but not smoking add the yellow onion diced.
- Cook the onions for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Once the onion starts to turn translucent add the diced garlic, turmeric and a pinch of salt
- After cooking for another 2 minutes add the carrots, parsnips, vegetable broth, coconut milk and sriracha
- Bring soup pot to a boil and then lower to a medium-low heat and simmer for 30 minutes
- Once the carrots and parsnips are very tender your soup is ready to blend
- Use an immersion blender, or in a blender carefully blend soup until smooth
- Serve soup topped with cinnamon croutons and enjoy!
Recipe by Healthy Grocery Girl & originally posted on IHAinspiredhome.com