Today I have a very special guest joining me in the HGG Kitchen… my husband Aaron! Since joining HGG full time Aaron has become our camera guy, before that I was filming everything by myself! Those were some creative and long days of filming. So technically Aaron is always with my in the kitchen as we’re creating new cooking videos to share with you. However, today he steps in front of the camera to cook with me! I receive a lot of requests for plant-powered meals that are husband or man-approved. My husband and I both eat a plant-based diet and fill up on all kinds of satisfying hearty meals. We thought it would be helpful to create some HGG Cooking episodes together sharing our favorite dude-approved plant-powered recipes. I hope you enjoy!
Chili Cheese Fries
TO MAKE CHILI
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 portabello mushroom
- 1 15-ounce can of lentils, drained
- 1 15-ounce can of kidney beans, drained
- 28- ounces of crushed tomatoes
- 2, 4- ounce cans of green chilis drained
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 small white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cumin
TO MAKE SWEET POTATOES
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
TO MAKE CHEESE SAUCE
- 1 cup cashews soaked overnight in water
- 1 cup of water
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Dice onion, garlic and bell peppers. Over medium heat add coconut oil to a soup pot and then add diced onion and cook for about 4 minutes until the onion starts to brown. Add in bell peppers, garlic and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Add the remainder of the chili ingredients into the pot and stir together. Place on the lid and let simmer for 30 - 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
- To make sweet potato fries preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Dice sweet potato in french fry size pieces. Place on a baking sheet and drizzles with coconut oil. Align sweet potatoes on baking sheet so they do not touch (this will help them crisp) and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake in the oven for approximately 25 - 30 minutes.
- To make cheese sauce, soak cashews overnight in water and then drain and rinse well. Add soaked cashews into a blender or food processor with fresh water including all of the ingredients listed above to make the cheese sauce.
The chili makes 6 servings. I would recommend 1 medium sweet potato for every 2 servings / people.