Hi Friends! Welcome back to the blog. The Holiday Season is here! As you plan your Holiday menus I have a lot of great ideas on the blog from soups and appetizers to desserts and more! Today I’m sharing how to make these Acorn Squash Date Bowls which are simple to make, festive and delicious! They feature one of my favorite ingredients that I love to use all-year long and especially at this time of the year, dates! Sunsweet Dates are a naturally sweet compliment to any kind of recipe, from savory to sweet and additionally, dates provide 3 grams of fiber per serving. What’s not to love!? Because of their natural sweetness and sticky texture dates work fabulously in desserts and many other savory dishes like these delicious bowls I’ve created perfect for a holiday spread. Dates are a great compliment to add onto your holiday party platter – they pair well with nuts, vegan cheese and fruit. Now, let’s get to our recipe!
ACORN SQUASH DATE BOWLSPrint Recipe
- 2 small acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 sprig rosemary
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup of water
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 6 Sunsweet dates or more to taste preference!
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 Fahrenheit; cut acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Brush coconut oil over the inside of the acorn squash halves. Roast in the oven on a baking sheet scooped side down for 30 minutes, then flip over, season with salt and pepper, and roast scooped side up for 20 minutes.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas, then add to a rimmed baking dish with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and a pinch of salt. Roast in the oven. After 15 minutes of roasting give the pan a shake to stir the chickpeas and add the sprig of rosemary, roast for another 5-10 minutes.
- Add dry quinoa to a small pot with 1 cup water and a pinch of salt, bring to a boil then cover with lid, drop heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat with the lid still on and let sit for 10 minutes. Then fluff with a fork.
- Once everything is finished cooking, chop the Sunsweet dates and roasted rosemary. Mix the dates and rosemary with the quinoa, chickpeas, and pumpkin seeds. Scoop into the acorn squash and serve warm, enjoy
Disclosure: This blog post is sponsored by Sunsweet.