Slow Cooker BBQ Chickpea Burgers
These fun little burgers are really easy to make, have so much flavor and are 100% plant-based! Growing up, one of my husband’s favorite meals that his mom would make is homemade BBQ chicken. Food is more than just nourishing your body! Food also evokes emotion and memory and happiness. Inspired by my husband’s favorite dish as a kid, we put our twist on the recipe incorporating chickpeas and making (just like mom!) a homemade BBQ sauce. Chickpeas are a great plant-based pantry staple that we tend to always keep on hand. On a day when we don’t know what to make, we often grab chickpeas from the pantry and a few of our favorite spices and we can put together a quick mash for a sandwich or a veggie and bean soup fast!
One of my favorite ways to add a lot of flavor to a meal without adding excess sodium or sugar is with SPICES. Spices have so many nutritional benefits and really can make a meal go from eh to yeah!
We love Watkins spices, which are made with the highest quality, USDA Organic Certified and Non-GMO Project Verified herbs and spices sourced from trusted growers that follow sustainable standards. Their spices are free from dyes, high-fructose corn syrup, added MSG and other artificial ingredients. It may seem that all herbs and spices are the same, as a fan of cooking with spices, I have learned this is not true! You can truly taste how much more flavor a high quality spice like Watkins provides to your meal.
Watkins products are available online at Watkins1868.com and at select stores nationwide.
Health Benefits Of Spices!
Spices contain many compounds that can provide the body with a variety of health benefits. Below are 3 spices from my BBQ Chickpea Burger recipe and few of their many health benefits!
Harissa is a blend of spices and chilis that provides an earthy, smokey, spicy flavor to a meal. It’s really a versatile spice perfect for chilis, a marinade or rub, homemade salad dressings, pasta dishes and more! One of the main compounds found in Harissa is capsaicin. Capsaicin not only provides a spicy flavor, it is an antioxidant that can support heart health and may help lower inflammation.
Cumin is a flowering plant, in which the seeds are dried and then used to make the spice, cumin! Cumin has an earthy yet almost sweet flavor and is great in meat or vegetables dishes, soups or sauces and more. Nutritionally cumin contains iron, may support digestive health and also can support healthy cholesterol levels.
Garlic is truly one of those “superfoods” that has so many incredible benefits. Garlic has even been used for medicinal purposes! Garlic is a powerful antibiotic due to a compound known as diallyl sulfide. Garlic can also support heart health, healthy blood pressure levels, may help fight the common cold and even support skin health. Garlic is a must-have spice, it adds so much flavor and so many health benefits to a meal!
I’m excited to share with you this Slow Cooker BBQ Chickpea Burger recipe, which technically is more of a sandwich! The chickpeas are made in a delicious BBQ sauce in the slow cooker then added to a toasted burger bun with a creamy slaw. It’s the tastiest plant-based BBQ sandwich!! So now, let’s get to our recipe!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chickpea BurgersPrint Recipe
- Your favorite burger buns
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chicken or veggie stock
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke optional
- 1 teaspoon Watkins Organic Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Watkins Organic Harissa
- ½ teaspoon Watkins Organic Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Watkins Organic Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Watkins Organic Smoked Paprika
- Pinch of Watkins Fine Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 tablespoons canned Coconut Milk
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- To make the BBQ Chickpeas, add all BBQ sauce ingredients to a small slow cooker and stir together. Add the chickpeas to the slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or low for 4-5 hours.
- To make the slaw, add coconut milk and ACV to a small bowl and whisk together, add the shredded cabbage and carrots, and stir together.
- Toast the buns and add your BBQ Chickpeas, top with slaw and enjoy!
If you make this recipe I’d love to see! Tag me on Instagram @HealthyGroceryGirl
Disclosure: Thank you to Watkins for sponsoring this post!