NO ADDED SUGAR CHALLENGE
Love sugar? We hear ya. It’s delicious! However, sugar doesn’t love you back! Sugar provides our body with no nutritional benefits, it’s addicting, it can suppress the immune system, interfere with good gut health, digestion, skin health and maintaining a healthy weight! Clearly sugar is… not so sweet.
We created the free No Added Sugar Challenge to help you kick your sugar addiction, feel your best & support your optimal well-being! We are doing this challenge as a group starting on May 1st, 2017. If you love a good group challenge we invite you to join us!! However, you can do the challenge solo anytime, day or month that works for you! This challenge is completely free for anyone, anywhere to join!
We recommend some additional resources to help you achieve your health & wellness goals, however this challenge alone is completely free! Learn more below & we hope you’ll join us!!
What Are Added Sugars versus Whole Food Sugars?
- regular soft drinks, energy drinks, and sports drinks
- pies and cobblers
- sweet rolls, pastries, and donuts
- fruit drinks
- dairy desserts, such as ice cream
- anhydrous dextrose
- brown sugar
- confectioner’s powdered sugar
- corn syrup
- corn syrup solids
- high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS)
- invert sugar
- malt syrup
- maple syrup
- nectars (e.g., peach nectar, pear nectar)
- pancake syrup
- raw sugar
- white granulated sugar
Why Avoid Added Sugar?
Sugar is a nutritional empty food, being that is provides no nutrition or health benefits. Here is a list of reasons to avoid or limit you intake of sugar!
- Sugar is addictive. The more sugar you eat, the more your body wants sugar! When we eat sugar our body produces a hormone known as dopamine, which gives us the feeling of pleasure. This is actually the same reward system our body experiences when consuming drugs!
- Sugar can cause insulin resistance. Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas, that drives glucose (sugar) from the bloodstream into cells. Excess sugar in the diet can cause the pancreas to go into overdrive to try & keep up! Insulin resistance is a stepping stone towards obesity and diabetes.
- Sugar can suppress the immune system. The more sugar you have in your diet the higher your risks are of getting sick from colds, the flu & other viruses.
- Fructose (a type of sugar) can cause Leptin resistance. Leptin is the hormone that helps signal that we are full & satisfied. When this hormone is not in balance it can make it difficult to lose or maintain a healthy weight as well as feel truly satisfied.
- Sugar can cause cavities! You’ve likely been told this since you were a little kid… but it’s true!
These are just a few of the reasons to limit our intake of added sugars. Should we eat 100% no added sugar for the rest of our life? That is up to you! You may decided that on the regular you prefer to avoid added sugars however always leave room for a slice of cake or pie to celebrate life’s special moments. Some convenience foods, while Organic and made with real ingredients, may still have added sugar. Yet healthy convenience foods are just, well… convenient and necessary for many with a busy lifestyle. Healthy eating is not about dieting or deprivation. Rather healthy eating is about finding what works best for you to help you feel you very best! By avoiding Added Sugars for one month you will be able to truly see how your body feels without added sugar, or maybe just less added sugar!
What Are The Potential Benefits Of Avoiding Added Sugars?
Every person is different however you may experience one or more of the following benefits by eliminating added sugar from your diet for a month.
- Improved energy levels throughout the day
- Less bloating and gas
- Weight loss
- Less sugar cravings
- Altered palette & ability to enjoy the sweetness from natural foods such as berries & fruits!
- Save money by cooking more at home, dining out less & consuming meals made from fresh, whole ingredients versus packages
- Slow down the aging process
- Improved sleep
- Strengthened immune system
- Clearer skin
- Overall just feel & look better!
What Can I Eat On This Challenge?
Whether you are gluten-free, vegan, paleo or somewhere in between you can participcate in this challenge! We recommend consuming a real, whole, mostly plant-based diet of fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, herbs, spices, whole-grains and legumes. However, nutrition is not one size fit all so please consume the type & quantity of foods that work for you! The key is to simply avoid added sugars during this challenge, not avoid any certain type of real, whole food.
Here are some great HGG Recipes that contain no added sugar!
- Detox Green Drink: This is a great option for breakfast or snack!
- 3 Bean Chili: Lunch or dinner!
- Lentil Lettuce Wraps: A great lunch or light dinner!
- Coconut Turmeric Lentil Soup: Easy lunch or dinner & the leftovers are even better!
- Loaded Sweet Potatoes: Lunch or dinner!
- Simple Greek Salad: Lunch or dinner!
- Vegan Pesto + Zucchini Noodles: Lunch or dinner!
- For more recipe ideas video the Healthy Grocery Girl Blog and YouTube Channel!
Megan will be hosting 2 Facebook LIVE Streams in April chatting about the challenge! Make sure you’re following Healthy Grocery Girl on Facebook & join us for one or both of these LIVE videos below!
- Saturday, April 22nd at 12-NOON PST: Challenge Overview, What Foods To Eat & Avoid, Q + A
- Saturday, April 28th at 12-NOON PST: Shopping Tips, Grocery Ideas & Q + A
What Are Some Tips To Curb My Sugar Cravings During The Challenge?
Once you join the challenge you’ll have access to the Challenge Calendar. This will be your main free guide & resource! This calendar will provide you with a daily tips & inspiration to help you curb sugar cravings!
What Happens If I “Mess Up” & Consume Something With Added Sugar?
That’s okay! Life happens. Just start again at your next meal or snack. Stress is not good for your health either!
What Happens After The Challenge?
You likely will feel so great that you will want to continue with a no to low added sugar diet! We recommend your sources of sugar come from whole foods such as fruits, starchy vegetables and whole-grains. For natural sweeteners stick with raw local honey, real maple syrup, coconut sugar or Organic stevia! Life is full of celebration & we don’t encourage deprivation. After the challenge if you find yourself at a birthday or holiday party, enjoy yourself! Remember what you eat on a consistent day to day basis is more impactful on your health than an occasional celebration treat.
Is This Challenge Free?
Yes! The No Added Sugar Challenge is completely free to join & participate! By signing up for the challenge you will have access to the No Sugar Added Challenge Calendar which will be your guide to follow for the next 31 days.
We do offer great additional resources!! For individuals looking for community support and accountability, recipe guides, shop lists & more we recommend the Healthy Grocery Girl Membership! As an HGG Member you will have access to our Private Facebook Group for Support, LIVE Stream Wellness Videos + Giveaways & Weekly Recipe Guides.
All May our HGG Member Weekly Recipe Guides + Shop Lists will feature No Added Sugar recipes! We recommend our Premium HGG Membership which is the best value & provides the most resources. Learn more about becoming an HGG Member Here!
This Challenge Is For You If:
- You find yourself with an energy slump mid-morning or mid-afternoon
- You have to have something sweet everyday
- You experience frequent gas and bloating
- You experience brain fog, difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- You know you’re addicted to sugar & want to break the habit!
- You’re open minded & willing to try new foods & commit to nourishing your body!
When Does The Challenge Start?
This challenge is available to anyone to start on any day, any time of the year! For those looking for a group experience, starting May 1st, 2017 the HGG Team & HGG Members are all going to do the No Sugar Added Challenge! You can stay connected with Megan & challengers via YouTube, Instagram, Facebook or join the HGG Membership for even more support!
Have More Questions?
Join us for 2 LIVE Facebook Streams with Healthy Grocery Girl Founder Megan Roosevelt, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist on Saturday, April 22nd at 12-Noon PST and again on Saturday, April 28th at 12-Noon PST. Megan will be sharing more details about the challenge, foods & tips to implement to have a successful month & answering your questions! Can’t watch it live? You can watch a replay of the Facebook LIVE Streams on the HGG Facebook page anytime after the event.
How Do I Access The Calendar?
Once you join the challenge by clicking the big orange JOIN NOW button above, you’ll have access to our PDF Calendar which you can download, save & print! That’s it! Once you join & download your calendar your are officially all set for the challenge. Use this calendar as a guide, join the FB Live Events & stay connected with Megan on Healthy Grocery Girl’s Instagram & Facebook throughout the month!
Make It Official!
Make It Official! Once you join, share this “No Added Sugar Challenge” badge on social media for added support & accountability! It’s true, once you make it public… it’s easier to stick with a goal! Bonus, find support, inspiration & accountability from others who are following the challenge too and / or just love you and are cheerleading for your success! Don’t forget to use the hashtag #HealthyGroceryGirl #HGGNoAddedSugarChallenge to connect with others for added support!