CREAMY LARGE WHITE LIMA BEAN SLOW COOKER SOUP
Blog | Dairy-Free | Dinner | Gluten-Free | Lunch | Main Course | Soups | Vegan
CREAMY LARGE WHITE LIMA BEAN SLOW COOKER SOUPPrint Recipe
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 ⁄2 white onion diced
- 1 cup tortilla strips
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 15-ounce can of coconut milk
- 4 cups of vegetable stock or stock of choice
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups of dried Large White Lima Beans
- Fresh cilantro
- A squeeze of lime-juice Crispy Tortilla Strips
- If available and in season slices of fresh avocado
- Optional topping is to add corn cooked large white lima beans and bell pepper
- To start you’ll want to use fresh dried beans, so always check the expiration date!
- To prep the beans, sort and soak beans.
- Add 2 cups of beans into a pot or bowl with 6 cups of water.
- Soak at room temperature for six to eight hours (for example overnight) and add more water if the level gets low.
- Drain and rinse before cooking and discard the water the beans have soaked in.
- When it’s time to make your soup you’ll want to wash and dice your veggies.
- Then add all the ingredients into your slow cooker and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Using a handheld immersion blender or traditional blender, blend the soup partially, so that it’s creamy but there is still some texture from the whole ingredients.
- Serve and add toppings and then enjoy! I love to keep this soup stored in glass mason jars in the fridge and consume within 5 – 7 days.
- To make the crispy tortilla strips I simply slice organic tortillas into thin strips. You can use any tortillas you prefer such as organic corn tortillas or a gluten-free cassava or brown rice tortilla. I place the strips on a baking sheet and drizzle with a little bit of coconut oil and a pinch of sea salt. Then I roast in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for just 3 – 5 minutes until crispy. Watch the tortilla strips so they do no burn!