Vegetable and Tofu Stir-Fry with Prune Teriyaki Sauce
Hi Friends! Welcome back to Healthy Grocery Girl! This year one of my blog goals is to add more entrees (dinners and lunches) to the site! I find that most people (myself included) tend to have a go-to routine breakfast and snack routine. However, we are always looking for new lunch or dinner ideas to mix it up! Today, I’m sharing how to make a vegetable tofu stir fry made with a prune juice teriyaki sauce. Tofu, which is made from soy, is packed with plant-based protein. I recommend organic tofu or tempeh! This dish sits on top of a bed of brown rice! I love brown rice for fiber as well as B-vitamins.
For the sauce, I love using prunes and prune juice! It may seem like an unexpected ingredient however prunes add a naturally sweet flavor, are packed with vitamins and minerals and give the teriyaki sauce a sticky, fantastic texture.
My go to is always Sunsweet Amaz!n Prunes and Prune Juice. They are the feel good fruit and I do have to say they keep me feeling good! They have no added sugar and compared to other dried fruits, prunes are lower in naturally occurring sugar. Sunweet Amaz!n Prune Juice is a natural source of 3 grams of fiber per serving! Fiber plays an important role in health of our microbiome and is key for managing energy levels and staying regular. A serving of Sunsweet Amaz!n Prune juice also provides 5 essential vitamins and minerals. It’s so delicious on its own, but also great added to recipes such as your morning smoothie, in baked treats or for makings sauces…. like my teriyaki sauce! Check out the recipe below.
Vegetable & Tofu Stir-Fry with Prune Teriyaki SaucePrint Recipe
- ½ cup dry brown rice
- 1 package extra firm non-GMO tofu
- 1 large bok choy
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow summer squash
- 1 cup chopped purple cabbage
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
Prune Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/2 cup diced or whole Sunsweet Amaz!n Prunes
- 1/4 cup Sunsweet Amaz!n Prune Juice
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch or cornstarch optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook the brown rice per package instructions.
- Slice the tofu into cubes about 1 inch in size, lightly oil, and roast in the oven until the edges start to brown, around 15 minutes.
- Rinse or wash the vegetables and prepare to stir-fry; slice the bok choy, remove the stem and seeds of the bell pepper and chop. Remove the ends of the summer squash and chop.
- Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil to a large sauté pan over medium heat and add the vegetables; stir-fry about 10 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
- While the rice, vegetables and tofu cook add all the sauce ingredients into a blender and blend on high until smooth. You can add optional thickener as well such as tapioca starch if you like a more thick sauce. But the blended prunes do a great job of thickening this sauce up. If you like a thinner sauce, simply add a touch of water. Once blended you can warm the sauce over low heat for a few minutes if you like.
- Serve the vegetables and tofu smothered in sauce, over rice and garnished with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Sunsweet