Growing up, we ate a lot of taco salad. If my family was coming over, my mom made taco salad. When we came home from college, my mom made taco salad. I think it was because it was a simple meal that could feed a large group and each person could easily adjust what they preferred in their salad such as cheese or no cheese. Taco salad has become one of my favorite recipes to make for my own little family and when mom comes to town to visit – you better believe I’m making her taco salad!
This recipe is inspired by mom’s recipe but I’ve made some changes to the ingredients to bump up the plant diversity and added in my own avocado ranch dressing!
One of my favorite tips for adding a lot of flavor to a meal is to use spices! You can always find Watkins spices in our pantry. Watkins is made with the highest-quality, USDA Organic Certified and Non-GMO Project Verified herbs and spices sourced from trusted growers that follow sustainable standards to ensure the best flavor in every meal. All Watkins products are free from dyes, high-fructose corn syrup, added MSG and other artificial ingredients. Watkins products are available online at Watkins1868.com and at select stores nationwide. You can learn more here!
Health Benefits Of Spices!
I love to explore the health benefits of ingredients, maybe it’s just the nutrition nerd in me, but knowing HOW these ingredients are nourishing my body just makes a meal taste even better! Below are a few of the spices featured in our dairy-free avocado ranch dressing!
Garlic has been used for both its health and medicinal properties. Compounds have been known to support immune function, blood pressure levels, heart health, bone health and digestive health!
Parsley flakes contain vitamin A, C and vitamin K. Vitamin K plays an important role in blood clotting and bone health. Parsley is also rich in antioxidants and nutrients that can support eye health!
Dill contains flavonoids which have been shown to help reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke. Dill also contains a mineral known as manganese. This mineral supports the metabolism of sugar and fat and is important for brain and nervous system functions.
Mustard is really a powerhouse plant! One compound in mustard known as sinigrin has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties. Nutritionally mustard also contains calcium, magnesium, manganese, copper, vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin K.
Taco Salad with Avocado RanchPrint Recipe
- 2 heads romaine chopped
- ½ cup purple cabbage thinly sliced
- ½ cup orange bell pepper diced
- ½ cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 cup black beans
- ⅓ cup black olives
- ⅓ cup corn
- 1 avocado seeded, peeled and sliced
- 3 6- inch corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
Avocado Ranch Dressing
- 1 medium avocado
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Watkins Organic Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Watkins Organic Onion Powder
- 2 teaspoons Watkins Organic Parsley Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Watkins Organic Dill Weed
- ¼ teaspoon Watkins Organic Ground Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Watkins Organic Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Watkins Fine Himalayan Pink Salt
- To make the salad dressing, add all dressing ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- To make the salad, wash and prep all vegetables and add to a bowl.
- To make tortilla strips, slice tortillas into strips (or chip triangles if you prefer) coat with one teaspoon of coconut oil. Then roast in a preheated oven at 425 degree Fahrenheit, for about 5 minutes. Watch carefully and flip once if needed, you want them crispy but not burnt.
- Top salad with tortilla strips, dressing and enjoy!
I’d love to see your taco salad creations! Share with me on social and tag @HealthyGroceryGirl!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Watkins!