Orange BBQ Lentil Loaf
Did you love eating meatloaf growing up? It a comforting family favorite that is a great option for feeding an entire family or crowd! You’re going to love this Orange BBQ Lentil Loaf recipe that brings back all those same flavors but with some incredible nutrients! This lentil loaf is packed with veggies, plant-based protein and topped with a flavorful tomato sauce.
Whether you are looking for a healthy weeknight swap or planning your upcoming holiday menu, this recipe is for you!
Health Benefits of Loaf Ingredients:
Lentils are an incredible source of plant-based protein. One cup of cooked lentils contains 16 grams of protein! They are also a great source of iron (providing about 35% of your Reference Daily Intake. Iron is important for carrying oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body!
Mushrooms are a good source of zinc, which is important for wound healing, immunity and crucial for growth in infants and children. Mushrooms can also contain a small amount of vitamin D if they are exposed to UV light!
Tomatoes contain different antioxidants. One of those is lycopene, which is what gives tomatoes their beautiful red color. Lycopene may protect against heart disease and even lower the risk of cancer. It also protects your cells from damage by fighting free radicals!
See below to view or print this recipe! If you make this Lentil Loaf, please share a photo on Instagram and tag me @HealthyGroceryGirl so I can easily find and like your creations! It’s so fun to connect with you and see what recipes you’re enjoying.
For more HGG recipe ideas you can also visit the HGG YouTube channel here!
Orange BBQ Lentil LoafPrint Recipe
- 1 Limoneira navel orange juiced
- 1 15-ounce can lentils
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 15-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons coconut brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons liquid aminos
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil and diced onion, celery and bell peppers. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add spices (besides paprika) and diced mushrooms. Sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Split can of tomatoes keeping half in dish and half in can.
- In a food processor, add orange juice, half of tomatoes, brown sugar, paprika and 1 tablespoon liquid aminos. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Using food processor again, add oats, other half of tomatoes, ground flax seed and 1 tablespoon liquid aminos. Process to form a crumbly mixture. Add in lentils, bread crumbs and sautéed veggies and process again to form smoother mixture.
- Add mixture to loaf pan, press down and bake for one hour.
- Take out and top with tomato sauce mixture. Put back into oven and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Allow loaf to set and cool for 15 minutes before removing. Slice and enjoy!
If you love this recipe, see below for more easy dinner recipes! As always all Healthy Grocery Girl recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free and predominantly plant-based.
Slow Cooker BBQ Chickpea Burgers
Apple Maple Sweet Potato Casserole
Harvest Heirloom Bean Chili
This video was created for the Limoneira YouTube Channel! Megan Roosevelt, RDN is the Spokesperson for Limoneira. To see all our tips & videos makes sure to visit & subscribe to the Limoneira YouTube Channel!