Is there anything better than a cozy warm bowl of soup in the winter?! Soup is one of our favorite meals! Not only does it taste amazing, but homemade soup can have some incredible heart health benefits. This Citrus Ginger Butter Bean Soup is loaded with amazing ingredients including butter beans. Research shows that eating just 4 servings of beans per week could lower your risk of heart disease by 14 percent!
This soup is gluten-free, dairy-free and packed with flavor! We love how creamy it is with just a little bit of spice! Enjoy this soup meal-prepped for lunch all week or as a healthy dinner that the whole family can enjoy!
Heart Healthy Benefits of Soup Ingredients
Lemongrass contains quercetin. Quercetin is plant pigment, also known as a flavonoid, which contains antioxidants that are important for things like reducing inflammation. This may reduce cardiovascular risks long-term.
Red bell peppers contain more vitamin C than an orange! One of these peppers contains 170% of your daily recommended intake! Vitamin C aids in immunity by keeping your immune system strong and preventing your risk of disease like heart disease. It also helps your body produce collagen, which is essential for skin health along with wound healing.
Ginger may contain anti-inflammatory properties, which can be beneficial for reducing pain for people with arthritis or other inflammatory issues. Ginger is also loaded with antioxidants, which may help repair damaged cells and fight free radicals. This aids in lowering disease risk for things like high blood pressure and heart disease.
See below to view or print this recipe! If you make this soup, please share a photo on Instagram and tag me @HealthyGroceryGirl so I can easily find and like your creations! It’s so fun to connect with you and see what recipes you’re enjoying.
For more HGG recipe ideas you can also visit the HGG YouTube channel here!
Citrus Ginger Butter Bean SoupPrint Recipe
- ½ Limoneira classic lemon
- 1 Limoneira lime
- 2 cups soup stock
- 4 lemongrass stalks
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ red bell pepper
- 2 carrots
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon Thai red chili paste
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos
- 2 15-ounce cans butter beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 jalapeno optional
- In a large soup pot, add soup stock, lemongrass stalks, cilantro and zest from the lime. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop carrots and dice red bell pepper. Add into soup pot and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Remove cilantro and lemongrass.
- Add in juice from ½ lemon, juice from the whole lime, coconut milk, maple syrup, liquid aminos, Thai chili paste and ginger powder. Stir to combine.
- Add in butter beans and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy your soup topped with sliced jalapeño if desired.
If you love this recipe, see below for more delicious soup recipes! As always all Healthy Grocery Girl recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free and predominantly plant-based.
This video was created for the Limoneira YouTube Channel! Megan Roosevelt, RDN is the Spokesperson for Limoneira. To see all our tips & videos makes sure to visit & subscribe to the Limoneira YouTube Channel!