Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you’ve ever wondered what my favorite dessert is… it’s chocolate chip cookies! My favorite bean? Chickpeas! Put them together? SO GOOD! Today on the blog I’m sharing a really simple gluten-free, dairy-free cookie recipe… chickpea chocolate chip cookies.
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are versatile and work great in so many recipes from sweet to savory, whether they are cooked or baked! I love that these chocolate chip cookies are made with chickpeas for a boost of protein and fiber. S&W Beans are a pantry staple and today I’m sharing a fun new recipe for how to enjoy S&W Organic Garbanzos!
As a Registered Dietitian, I get really excited about nutrition facts! It makes me so happy to know that my favorite foods, like chocolate chip cookies, not only nourish my soul and just make me so happy – they can actually be GOOD for me too!
I always say that the best diet is the one where you actually enjoy what you eat. It is sustainable and helps you reach your health goals! Incorporating treats made with real, whole foods into your week, like these cookies, is a great way to feel nourished and not deprived as part of a healthy lifestyle!
5 Reasons I Love Beans!
We eat beans almost every day. They are a source of plant-based protein, fiber and work well in so many recipes. Here are just a few reasons why I love beans!
- Beans are a prebiotic! They feed the bacteria in your large intestine, including strains of probiotic bacteria thought to boost health.
- A ½ cup serving of beans has 5-9 grams of fiber and approximately 9 grams of protein!
- Beans are an environmentally friendly protein source!
- Beans also contain two key minerals for optimal health – potassium and magnesium.
- Beans are heart healthy! Just 4 servings of beans per week may lower your risk of heart disease by 14% according to this study!
Learn more amazing reasons to love beans here!
Did you know that dark chocolate also has amazing health benefits? Dark chocolate contains antioxidants, fiber, iron, magnesium and flavanols that may help to improve blood flow and lower blood pressure.
These cookies are dairy-free, gluten-free and really simple to make. Now let’s get to our recipe!!
Chickpea Chocolate Chip CookiesPrint Recipe
- 1 can S&W Organic Garbanzo chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg or vegan egg replacer
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut brown sugar* or sweetener of choice
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas to a food processor and pulse four to five times.
- Then add the remaining ingredients, minus the chocolate chips, into the food processor and pulse until well mixed.
- Add the chocolate chips and pulse one to two times; or transfer dough to a bowl and stir the chips in by hand.
- Form batter into cookies and place on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by S&W Beans. I only work with brands I love and products I genuinely use.