Super Smoothie for Better Digestion
Constipation is one of the most common digestive complaints in the United States. Beyond being uncomfortable, chronic constipation can hinder the body’s ability to properly excrete waste and toxins. In fact, regular bowel movements are one of the main ways the body naturally cleanses and detoxes! So, what do you do when you can’t go number two? Keep reading!
As an ambassador for Sunsweet, I am sharing tips to help you feel good this year! For more feel good tips and to enter in to win prizes click here!
Specifically, today we’re chatting all about gut health and I’m sharing a really simple smoothie recipe to support digestion.
Why Digestion and Gut Health Matters
The human body contains both good and bad bacteria. We need good gut bacteria because it helps the body fight yeast and fungi and creates enzymes to destroy harmful bacteria. Strong gut health also contributes to our immune health, in fact 70% of your immunity is located in your gut! Healthy gut flora can also help eliminate bad bacteria and regulate inflammation. Poor gut health can also contribute to constipation or diarrhea, an upset stomach, irritable bowel syndrome and beyond!
How To Support Gut Health & Naturally Relieve Constipation
Below are a few ways to support digestion and bowel regularity!
- Exercise: Aim for 150 minutes of exercise per week, which can break down to 30 minutes a day 5 times a week!
- Increase your water intake while decreasing your intake of dehydrating beverages such as caffeine, energy drinks, soda or even caffeinated teas
- Increase fiber intake from real, whole, plant-based foods
- Eliminate artificial sweeteners which have been known to interfere with gut health
- For some individuals, certain foods may contribute to constipation such as dairy or low-fiber processed foods
- Lemon juice with hot water can support regular bowel movements! How this works is thatflavonoids found naturally in lemon juice help break down food within your stomach. Hot or warm water is known to stimulate peristalsis (also known as muscle contractions) that can trigger bowel movements.
- And a classic go-to…. Prunes and Prune Juice!
Sunsweet Amaz!n Prune Juice
Did you know that the microbiome is made up of billions of helpful bacteria that influence our health from digestion to immunity and beyond? Fiber plays an important role in supporting digestion and microbiome health. You’ve likely heard that prunes are good for constipation, yet you may wonder, is prunejuice helpful for constipation as well? The simple answer is, yes! One serving of Sunsweet Amaz!n Prune juice has 3 grams of fiber, whereas most juices contain little to no fiber. In addition Sunsweet Amaz!n Prune juice provides 5 essential vitamins and minerals and no added sugar to help balance and maintain digestive health to help you feel your best. Prune juice is fantastic on its own or try adding to a smoothie!
The smoothie recipe I’m sharing below is a great way to make Sunsweet Amaz!n Prune Juice a regular part of your daily routine.
Prune Protein ShakePrint Recipe
- 3 Sunsweet Amaz!n Prunes
- ¼ cup of frozen cauliflower
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon Almond butter
- Optional protein powder
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- Blend all ingredients together & enjoy!
Disclosure: This blog post is sponsored by Sunsweet!