When is it ok to eat an entire cake in one sitting? When it is a mini orange upside down cake! These individual cakes are made in a cupcake mold, they are beautiful and perfectly sized for dinner parties or a holiday buffet!
Health Benefits of Ingredients
The antioxidants found in lemons have properties that can protect cells against oxidative stress. Oxidative stress can lead to inflammation, which is a precursor to cardiovascular disease.
Lemons also contain vitamin C, which has been shown to aid in decreasing the severity and duration of sickness with having adequate levels in the body.
Pure maple syrup is an excellent source of manganese and a good source of riboflavin. Pure maple syrup is also a source of calcium, thiamin, potassium, and copper. One serving of pure maple syrup (2 tablespoons) contains 35% of the Daily Value of Manganese and 15% for Riboflavin.
See below to view or print this recipe! If you make these cakes, please share a photo on Instagram and tag me @HealthyGroceryGirl so I can easily find and like your creations! It’s so fun to connect with you and see what recipes you’re enjoying.
For more HGG recipe ideas you can also visit the HGG YouTube channel here!
Orange Upside Down CakesPrint Recipe
- 5 Limoneira mandarin clementine oranges
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ cup cassava flour
- ½ tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup real maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons limoneira lemon juice
- Cut oranges into 12 thin slices.
- Add orange slices to boiling water and simmer for 3 minutes, then lay out on a paper towel to dry.
- Divide the butter and sugar into a silicone 12-cupcake pan. This will be about 1 teaspoon of each butter and sugar into each cupcake mold.
- Bake the butter and sugar mixture in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 3 minutes.
- Next, whisk the almond flour, cassava flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Then, whisk the eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients into the large bowl with the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Place one blanched orange slice into the melted butter / sugar mixture in each cupcake mold, and top with cake batter.
- Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 25 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!
More Citrus Holiday Desserts!
This video was created for the Limoneira YouTube Channel! Megan Roosevelt, RDN is the Spokesperson for Limoneira. To see all our tips & videos makes sure to visit & subscribe to the Limoneira YouTube Channel!