Orange Blueberry Chia Muffins
Happy January! In the new year, many of us are focused on healthy eating and in the search of easy, healthy recipes! So all month long, I will be sharing simple recipes featuring Limoneira citrus!
Today I’m sharing how to make Orange Blueberry Chia Muffins! I originally created this recipe to have a healthy snack option for my kids, but they are so delicious that I love them too! This is a great toddler / kid-friendly low sugar muffin packed with protein, fiber, antioxidants from the blueberries and omega-3s from the chia seeds! Perfect to add into a lunchbox or enjoy as a midday snack.
As a reminder, these are a nutrient dense, no added sugar muffin designed for little ones. So they may not represent fluffy sugary muffins.
Health Benefits of Muffin Ingredients:
Berries are a low glycemic food making them a great snack for people with diabetes. They are also extremely high in antioxidants. Anthonyanins, which is the antioxidant found in berries, may have anti cancer, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial effects!
Beans are an incredible plant-based protein, packed with fiber and also contains B vitamins! B vitamins are important because they help increase neurotransmitter levels, including serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. All of these helps regulate mood.
Oranges are a great source of prebiotic fiber! This is the type of fiber that feeds your good gut microbes and helps them thrive! When those microbes are well nourish, your gut is able to heal itself and digestion runs smoother. Oranges are also a good source of potassium, which is essential for heart function, nerve function and muscle contraction.
See below to view or print this recipe! If you make these muffins, please share a photo on Instagram and tag me @HealthyGroceryGirl so I can easily find and like your creations! It’s so fun to connect with you and see what recipes you’re enjoying.
For more HGG recipe ideas you can also visit the HGG YouTube channel here!
Orange Blueberry Chia MuffinsPrint Recipe
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons Limoneira navel orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Limoneira navel orange zest
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup canned chickpeas drained & rinsed
- ¼ cup cashew butter
- ½ cup ripe banana
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Begin by blending blueberries, orange juice and zest. You will want a nice smooth puree with no blueberry pieces remaining.
- Then add the chia seeds, stir and let sit for around 10 minutes. The chia seeds will absorb the water from the blueberries and create a jam-like consistency.
- Next, add rolled oats to a food processor and pulse until evenly ground.
- Finally, add the remaining ingredients and pulse until a batter is formed.
- Then, add the batter to a muffin lined tin or nonstick silicone pan. I suggest making these mini muffins with about 1 tablespoon of batter each.
- Add a dollop of jam to the top of each muffin and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow muffins to set and cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!
If you love this recipe, see below for more muffin recipes! As always all Healthy Grocery Girl recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free and predominantly plant-based.
Orange Carrot Cake Muffins
Banana Hemp Seed Muffins
Gluten-Free Lemon Zucchini Muffins
This video was created for the Limoneira YouTube Channel! Megan Roosevelt, RDN is the Spokesperson for Limoneira. To see all our tips & videos makes sure to visit & subscribe to the Limoneira YouTube Channel!