Hi Friends! Welcome back to Healthy Grocery Girl. I hope you’re having a wonderful Holiday season with your friends and family and eating a ton of delicious, festive food! Once of my favorite things about the Thanksgiving and Christmas is the leftovers. A piece of pumpkin pie and coffee the day after Thanksgiving or a sandwich made with holiday sides… so good! Today I’m sharing how to take your leftover sides to create a tasty plant-powered burger! The chickpea patties we’re making are packed with fiber and protein. These patties are also great to meal prep. I love making a big batch of these patties and storing in the fridge or freezer for easy lunches or dinners during the Holiday season.
The burger buns I’m using for today’s recipe are the Millet and Chia buns from Little Northern Bakehouse, they are gluten-free, light and delicious!! I first discovered Little Northern Bakehouse while on a road trip with my husband a few summers ago! We stopped at a juice shop to grab juice and a sandwich and I fell in love with the most amazing gluten-free bread… I had to have more! I called the Juice Shop to ask what brand of bread they use for their sandwiches… Little Northern Bakehouse! Let’s just say ever since then I’ve been enjoying a slice every day! Then I found out they also have burger buns and more delicious gluten-free bread varieties like cinnamon raisin… yum! Their bread is also vegan and NON-GMO project verified. You can learn more about Little Northern Bakehouse here!
Now… let’s get to our recipe!
Holiday Leftover Chickpea Burgers on Millet and Chia BunsPrint Recipe
The Leftovers You’ll Need
- Leftover cranberry sauce
- Leftover mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes
- Salad greens such as arugula or baby kale
- Onion to make caramelized onions
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 can 15-ounce chickpeas
- ½ cup of gluten-free oat flour 3/4 cup of oats ground in a blender
- 3 tablespoons of ground flax seeds
- ⅓ cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a small bowl add the ground flax seeds, warm water, coconut oil and all seasonings, stir together and set aside.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then add to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher. Add the oat flour and stir together.
- Add the flax seed mix to the chickpea/oat mash and stir until well combined.
- Form into patties and bake in a preheated 350 Fahrenheit oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Or cook in a skillet on the stovetop with more coconut oil.
- To make the caramelized onions, peel and slice the onion into rounds about ½ inch thick. Warm coconut oil in a large thick bottomed sauté pan over medium/low heat. Add the onions and salt; stir to coat with oil and then spread evenly across the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally for 20-30 minutes. Use a metal spatula to stir and scrape the pan until the onion are brown. When the onions are almost done, add a splash of water or balsamic vinegar to help deglaze the pan and bring more color and flavor to the onions.
- Lightly toast the Little Northern Bakehouse Millet and Chia buns and spread some mashed sweet potato on the bottom bun, next layer salad greens, then a chickpea patty, caramelized onion and then cranberry sauce. Add the top bun, and enjoy!
Disclosure: This blog is sponsored by Little Northern Bakehouse. All opinions are my own!